What Are the Symptoms of Stress?
Churning stomach, palpitations, loss of appetite, diarrhoea, insomnia, sweating, trembling, general anxiety, tense headaches, unusual fatigue, frigidity, poor concentration, increased irritability and eating/drinking/smoking too much. A heady mix you will agree.
Medium Term – Left unchecked and unattended to these symptoms can lead to chest pain, allergies, persistent insomnia, high blood pressure, abdominal pain, migraines, depression, ulcers, asthma and infections, muscle tension and feelings of inadequacy, guilt and hate.
Long Term – Left in a continual state of stress the body may develop heart disease, strokes, cancer, angina, depression and general health deterioration. Stress also increases wound healing times by up to 40%.
Benefits of Massage
Massage is not a placebo or just pampering! It has been scientifically proven to lower blood pressure and lower the stress hormone, cortisol. Most importantly, it increases serotonin, which is the ‘feel good’ hormone that makes us feel energetic, inspired and optimistic. It also alters our electromagnetic brainwaves (which correspond to our state of mind) to ALPHA – making us feel relaxed, calm, creative and at peace with the world!
Holistic Massage Therapy – Physiological Benefits (physical structure of the body)
- Improved skin tone and colour.
- Encourage better circulation. Efficient delivery of nutrients and oxygen to the body’s cells and more efficient waste removal.
- Deeper and more relaxed breathing.
- Lymphatic drainage is improved and reduced swelling.
- Muscle fatigue relief and reduced soreness and stiffness in joints.
- General relaxation.
- Stimulation or sedation of the nervous system (depending on type of massage)
- Sleep pattern improvements
- Digestion and speed of waste removal improves.
- Skin elasticity improvement.
- Improve circulation.
- Immunity boosting.
- Muscles suppleness improves.
- Neural communication improvements and relaxation of the nervous system (helps to prevent muscle spasms caused by anxiety).
- Deeper and more effective respiration.
- Insomnia relief.
- Digestive balance.
- Lower high blood pressure.
Psychological Benefits of Holistic Massage Therapy
- Body relaxation, reducing tension and effects of stress.
- Mind relaxation, reducing anxiety and its effects.
- Soothing and comforting.
- Lifts the emotions and increases positive feelings.
- Increased energy due to invigoration of all body systems and reduces fatigue.
- Sustainable relaxation of body and mind.
- Body image improvements, awareness and self esteem and self worth.
- Energy levels increase as less energy is spent holding the body in a tense state (mental and physical). Release of negative energy and toxins, means you are less likely to get ill or suffer the effects of minor aches and pains.